The scope of work for the Council includes a range of infrastructure issues such as:
• ensuring that the new National Planning Framework (NPF) will integrate with local and regional plans to enable sustainable growth across the Island of Ireland
• reducing red tape and uncertainty over timelines for strategic infrastructure
• promoting greater consistency between local authorities regarding non-strategic infrastructure projects
• deliver policy wins for businesses operating in the road freight, aviation, maritime and public transport sectors
• Promotion of integrated transport networks, including provision of rail freight
• Effective spatial and land use planning as well as maritime and foreshore planning issues
This Council has wide membership across a range of network utilities, including electricity, gas, water and wastewater treatment, waste management, telecommunications as well as transport sector members and users. It also has members from research institutions and firms involved in infrastructure, planning and transport. .